Wednesday, July 22, 2009

"That's what makes you that guy"

So last night I'm driving home, thinking how nice it will be to crawl into bed and crash... when I come around the corner, and realize that there is a small brush fire on the side of the road!

I stop. Flick my hazards on jump out and decide that it is larger than my trusty flip flops can stomp out safely. Now at this point in time something in my brain kicks into overdrive. There is a bit of a strong wind, and the fire is growing, and blowing towards a large field... I don't have my cell phone (the one time in 200,000) and I definitely don't have time to drive to the nearest phone and report it and that's when I remember that I carry a fire extinguisher in the trunk.


(That's my flip flop at a whopping size 10 for comparison)

Bless the man who gave me a fire extinguisher with my first car, affectionately known as Bessie (the Multi) and now referred to as "The Multi didn't make it". The idea was that if my '87 Multi caught on fire I would have it. Yes Dad, that's you I'm talking about. I don't know how many times that thing got tossed from one side of the trunk to the other, and then made the transfer into the new Fit. But I've been lugging that thing around for darn near 6 years now... and I have to say, I'm recommending that everyone I know carry one, they're relatively small, light... and can be a lifesaver cause when those things come in handy they are TOTALLY worth their weight in gold!

Needless to say it was more than a little scary thinking about what *could* have happened if I hadn't driven by when I did. With the massive evacuations due to the fires in Kelowna it was a sharp reminder of how quickly something like that can get out of control.

No comments:

Post a Comment