Thursday, April 22, 2010

The way of the warrior

It really got me thinking when Gabrielle first started following the way of love with Eli, and even though she was taking a different path, she still felt that she was supposed to be with Xena... as all rivers run to the sea, and I just thought it was so cool that although Gabrielle had essentially rejected Xena's way of living so to speak, Xena made the commitment that she would fight for Gabrielle. It was the line "Lucky you don't need to" - basically you've got me, I'll always be here for you.

Then the roles were reversed, when Xena went in to rescue them from Caesars soldiers... and was all Gabrielle needs me to be the best warrior I can be. After they were captured, and talking in their cell, and Xena is apologizing for making Gabrielle turn from her way, she says "Xena, I had a choice, I could choose love, or I could watch my best friend die, I chose friendship" She says it with such certainty and such a calm aura around her, its as if it was the only thing in the world that mattered.

Finally when I recently watched the episode Chakram, when Xena doesn't remember anything of her former self, or that she is a living legend of a warrior... and Gabrielle gets her sais, and says to Eli that she'll do whatever it takes to protect Xena. They've come full circle, and yet they never left, their love for one another is constant throughout.

I guess love really is the strongest word, stronger even than courage.

No comments:

Post a Comment