Tuesday, October 11, 2011

From the Captain

It started late Friday I suppose...  I was visiting another yacht and left my plastic sandals on the step of the boat.  One got kicked overboard I guess with the coming and going of people.  Saturday morning I was getting ready to pull out to head for NZ.  Tarp down, stuff away, engine running fine etc.  released the two stern ties and hauled up the anchor.  Motoring towards the fuel dock a few hundred meters away and there is a screech and the engine quit.  I managed to drift down onto a moored yacht (dead calm conditions, no one about) tie on and dove on the prop.  A line had wrapped around.  One of the stern lines had fallen back in the water, I'd left it attached to use as a spring at the fuel dock.  Engine started, transmission went into gear and off I went - for about 60 seconds.  Nasty noises, quick shut down and drifted to the fuel dock.  Transmission is damaged, I'm pretty sure.

Got tied in, engine runs fine in neutral and reverse.  Forward and there are nasty noises.  I think I know what the problem is but not what to do about it.  Called the mechanic, doesn't work Saturday but will come on Monday.  I'm checked out of the country and my visa is dead by Tuesday at best. Filled up with fuel anyway.  I'd ordered 220 l of duty free figuring I'd take 170, but somehow put 250 aboard.  I can see maybe the 220 at a stretch but I think their meter is tweaked.  Can't argue, but out of Tongan cash.  So, now I sit.  It's Sunday and it's DEAD.  Quiet as a tomb and HOT.  Woke up with a headache, and the Inet I had is not available.  I think the cafe changed the password, which makes sense.  So, I'm internet deprived as well, and even if I had some cash, the place is closed.

Just to add insult to injury, my glasses broke.  The bolt in the hinge has corroded through and it didn't just fall out.  It left a cylinder of metal in the hole in the arm, and another in the lower hole of the hinge on the frame.  Lovely, can't get the metal out without a jeweler's drill and vice.  So, it's the toothpick, nylon thread seizing and epoxy repair.  Works.

So, hopefully the mechanic will show in the morning and we can Mickey mouse a fix that will give me about 10 or more hours of run time - enough to get me out of the harbor and clear of the island, and enough to dock at NZ.  I don't think there's a hope of parts here and I really don't want to sit around for a couple of weeks waiting for parts, which is the experience.

Hope you're having a good time, smile.  It's not so bad - I'm comfortable etc., just I don't like sitting and waiting especially since I was "on my way".  Shades of Eureka.

Take care
DAD
-----
At 08/10/2011 8:15 PM (utc) our position was 21°08.33'S 175°11.06'W

No comments:

Post a Comment