Thursday, June 17, 2010

Philosophication

Today I discovered Project Gutenberg. Okay it was yesterday, but today I realized how incredible it is. *nerd alert* In one seemingly small line of code on the command prompt I invoked a recursive download. I feel like I'm downloading the Internet, and that if I'm not careful my laptop will spontaneously break the laws of physics and melt into a black hole consuming the Universe in its wake!

Although I've been feverishly checking the space constraints on my laptop I've downloaded thousands upon thousands of titles in little over 2GB... with 42GB still left to go, I should be okay. I am a little nervous though as the last posted space estimate for downloading the entire project puts it at 15GB in 2004.

It should be okay, I'll just keep an eye on it. Right? Right?!!? *chews fingers down to first knuckle*

I've been randomly flipping through folders of items that have already been downloaded and I'm excited at the prospect of being able to do it when I will have a chance to read the contents. Its like the first tentative tastes of a meal the cook has not yet declared fit for consumption, that makes your mouth water and your stomach demand more.

This project only has books that are in the public domain, so basically all the classics, Jules Vern, Mark Twain, Shakespear... endless biographies of philosophers long dead. And yet these literary works that I was not spoon fed the puree in school, or forced to dissect into the smallest most basic building block excite me. They hold wonders unread, thoughts I've yet to think, and new perspectives on old ideas that directly relate to problems we still face today. They say that history repeats itself, but how can it not... we take leaps of faith in a direction already tried and expect something different to happen.

Maybe just maybe by standing on the literary works of giants, I can expand upon those thoughts and think something that nobody has ever thought before. Wish me luck, its apt to be a long journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment