Saturday, February 19, 2011

My not new years resolution

I have been hesitant to write about starting Taekwondo, and I'm not exactly sure why. It's almost like if I talk about it, I'll stop doing it. Like the New Years resolution you can't break, if you don't tell anyone you've made it.

It's odd really because from the first night I tried Taekwondo I loved it! I can't believe I've never tried it before.

I was talking to Carol, the lady who signed me up and sheepishly admitted that I became interested by watching a video on youtube. I didn't tell her it actually started with my Xena obsession... and then I watched the videos on youtube. I mean really, "Hi, I think I'm an ancient Greek warrior with no skills, can you teach me?"

Okay but seriously the youtube video was pretty cool, it was a Master demonstrating the use of Bo-staff in defending against a sword attack. In the span of a few breaths, he had disarmed and pinned the guy with the sword. It was incredible!

In all honesty though, I wanted something that I can do to stay in shape. Something that is practiced in other parts of the world, that I can spend a lifetime learning and refining. I don't know if this is it, but I'm going to give it a try.

Besides you just never know when defense against a sword attack will come in handy... or do you? Nyaarrrr!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! :) I think that's a great decision to learn Taekwondo...I used to do kickboxing until my wrists stopped co-operating, but I'm considering starting some other kind of martial arts...It is a great way to keep fit, to learn to control your body (better) and to let out pent-up tension and other negative emotions. Anyway, have lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Anja! I'm really excited about it, it's been lots of fun already and it has even been helping my ankles :)

    ReplyDelete