Monday, December 20, 2010

Epic roadtrip


Kentucky... far enough south they have a cool accent, where they can teach you the proper use of "y'all" and "all y'all" and well yeah...this sign says some of it, I was told it was too cold to go catfish noodling... maybe next time.


Where toques are called toboggans... and yes they are aware that a toboggan is a sled... *shrugs* Go figure. The land of Wildcat blue where basketball is as sacred as hockey is to Canadians... Where the game-time rituals would get you committed in most places, and the outcome is totally dependent on how many fans are giving the right advice amongst the cheers and the curses. This is where I was introduced to Ale8 a sparkling addictive pop with higher consumption stats than 'fridge beer'... It ranks right up there as one of the first things requested when being picked up from the airport.

Road trip to Columbus... where the skies opened up, and the angels sang... THEY HAVE TIMMY'S!!!!! *happy dance* <--- This doesn't even begin to describe how excited I was after not having Timmy's for 3 months. In fact on the way to Columbus *somebody* reset Trixie (the gps) for the nearest Timmy's... Leaving Timmy's with my medium double double (the equivalent of our large) a Canadian Maple with a huge grin on my face, I was described as a six year old leaving the candy store.


Roadtrip to St. Louis, the Gateway to the West. Land of the super huge "Ooooh SHINY!" arch *smiles*

Do you know what was even better than the arch though?!? My new friends took us to the City Museum... now I know you're thinking "Dude... Seriously? Another museum?" Well let me tell you, this isn't any ordinary museum... this is the *coolest* museum I've ever been to in my entire life! For real. It's like non-nightmarish Tim Burton cool!

It's so wicked you can touch practically everything... none of this walking around just reading, you can climb on stuff! There's an entire floor with different bits of stonework like the gargoyles from old buildings that were being torn down...


There's a 10 story slide, which I tested of course, and it was awesome! (I was a little dizzy at the bottom though) It's one of those spirally chutes you can see...


And an enchanted caves section *grins* with lights and water fountains and tunnels... oooh and basically giant welded slinkys you can climb through!


Everywhere you look large quantities of parts that were going to be scrapped have been turned into something cool, and worked into the surroundings in an artistic way. There are columns covered in tiny gears, filled with marbles... hanging scraps of fiberglass cloth, wall paneling that upon closer inspection are old printing plates!


A huge playground indoors and outdoors that is the perfect size for big kids AND little kids, with a bonfire for the parents... so even when it's minus 3, you can still play outside! There are slides, an airplane, a really for real tower... like from a castle! There's even more stuff on the roof, including a bus that HANGS OVER THE EDGE!


Unfortunately the roof and the aquarium were closed... so I'm going to have to go back and check it out in the summertime, I'm pretty sure there are some sections I missed too ;)

2 comments:

  1. These pictures scream road trip! Let me know when you're going back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For sure, it would be... I need a bigger word for epic... but whatever, it would be awesome!

    ReplyDelete