Thursday, December 02, 2010

Wrap up take 2

Continuing from take 1, Dad found a marina with relatively decent moorage fees. Translation: he didn't have to leave his first born as a collateral *phew*. We headed over, and went through the song and dance of paperwork and the approval process to be able to park the boat here for a few months, and started packing.

It was such an oddly disjointed feeling, to go from full ahead to Mexico... to Stop. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200. I felt like I'd been driving, forgot to gear down and was suddenly headed down a steep hill rapidly approaching freefall velocity... suddenly I was floating and I'd forgotten how to drive a spaceship.

There were so many things to do, and too many things to pack... and while we knew there were decently priced flights for Dad to get home, I still hadn't found and booked my flight, there was just enough internet connection to get my email, but not enough to load an airline reservations page. Oh right and the cell phone was out of minutes again.

For the first time in a very long time I questioned my own conviction that "It'll all work out, it always does... One way or another, even if it's not the way you thought it will. It'll work out."

Slowly the jigsaw puzzle we've been living in was taken apart, things migrated from one end of the boat to the other... some to be stored, others to be packed... Then everything started to fall into place, kachink, kachink... *kachunk*

I entered the mental space usually reserved for the brief period of time right before exams, one I affectionately refer to as the calm before the storm. The space reserved for doing, when all the clutter and inconsequential things have been swept aside. When anything you have no control over is ignored, and you decide that you're going to try your best.

No comments:

Post a Comment