Monday, June 08, 2009

She's graduated, convocated and we can officially call her Dr.

These past four days I have been honoured to share with a friend of mine who just completed the gruelling four years of a Medical Degree.

There was a breakfast, with much congratulations to the grads, and then the actual ceremony which was very well done. The speakers were all excellent, and I was almost chagrined at how nice it was until I remembered that this degree was four years *on top* of an existing degree (in most cases).

There was a BBQ with her incredibly cute cousin who repeated everything he heard - I must apologize to his mother, as although I was on my best behaviour I'm sure he picked up a few things he wouldn't otherwise... like picking up blocks with his toes *evil grin*

There was a grad banquet which was amazing, the catering staff did a wonderful job and the meals were beautiful! I have pictures of the salad and dessert, I almost didn't want to eat them. *Almost*

There were the requisite number of speeches and congratulatory remarks, and thanks. Of all the people who went through the motions though there were two who stood out. The first had a very heart felt speech that was so incredibly true it was beautiful. It may have been the disclaimer that the remaining speech would be from bulleted points because every time she'd tried to write it she'd been unable to finish, or the humour that showed through in the strength of her voice even as it threatened to crack. But her speech in particular struck a chord with my view from the outside of medical school and the effort that goes into it, and the support required from so many sources to get through it.

The other speaker, well she was more or less hosting the entire evening and I think that her simple thank you to the people who supported the grads said it the best. "There are almost 600 people here at this banquet tonight... and yet there are only 125 grads." She thanked all the people who had supported the graduates they were celebrating tonight. But I think that she said it so simply, like look around you... 5 out of 6 people at your table helped a grad in some way get to where they are today. I would like to say though, thank you for allowing me to be a part of your four days of ensuing celebration, and I'm honoured that you tolerate my uneducated questions long enough to answer them and reeducate me in things that are as obvious as breathing and eating to you now. I hope that our friendship remains this way forever.

There was the ensuing celebration, with much dancing and her fiance finally getting me back for the time he didn't remember paying for the cab ride home... yes, I paid for the cab ride, no I have no idea how he even had my wallet in the first place... I'm glad I have friends who make sure I get home safely though or as it was once pointed out by a friend of mine I would totally be woken up in a ditch somewhere by a stray cow.

During the course of the last four days, it was also noted in passing conversation that 70% of what I say is incorrect or never happened that way. Which I must admit caught me a little off guard and I was quite taken aback by, until I realized the context in which it is entirely true. Often times, when repeating a story where the person it happened to, or the location in which it happened had no significance to me when I heard it, it is no sooner heard than disregarded and forgotten. Henceforth anytime that I relate the story it is most definitely missing what some would consider to be key pieces of information. I have decided that I'm okay with this, and will proceed to relate non relevant information like this in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment