Sunday, August 07, 2011

Did you know that...

Little niggling question, brought about by Mom on the boat and not being able to find the popcorn. (I'm not actually sure that we ever packed any in the first place) Nonetheless, she was complaining that the grocery story in Tahiti only had microwave popcorn...

Well that got me to thinking. "Can you cook microwave popcorn in a pot on the stove?" Like your Granny used to, back in the day, you know before microwaves.

I mean really, I don't see why not.  The basic premise of popcorn, is that you heat it until it can't contain it's water anymore and it explodes into a fluffly white air filled snack lacking any nutritional value whatsover.... A snack that somehow tricks you into thinking that your stomach is full.  The only thing with microwave popcorn is that someone put it in a paper bag, figured out the optimal cholesterol per kernal ratio... and that it should take *waggles hand* aboouuuut three minutes on high.

Two sore arms later ~ that haven't made popcorn the old fashioned way since Girl Guide camp, the answer is yes... more or less. I got one small bowl of beautiful normal fluffy popcorn. Further testing is required to determine if you can actually pop the whole bag, without burning the second half. So if you're feeling enthusiastic try it out and let me know, I don't think I'll be doing it any time soon... my arms are tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment