Wednesday, August 03, 2011

From the Commadore

Reflections on my Trip

Well I've been home just over a week now and am finally getting my brain back into work mode.  I realize the problem this year is an allergy I've developed.  I got hay fever for the first time ever this spring and it's making my head fuzzy as well as runny eyes and nose.  The problem disappeared in Tahiti but is back with a vengeance now!

Talked to your dad last night.  The first time we've ever made contact with the home radio.  Woot! Woot!  The band conditions must have been just right.  He's going to leave soon as his visa runs out in 5 days.  That means he's been in French Polynesia 90 days!  Wow, hard to believe it's been that long.  He was going to check out the storage yard on the island he's at now tomorrow and then head out for the Cook Islands or Tonga after that.  Also, he was going to do another guided dive but it got cancelled due to high winds in the anchorage.  Hopefully he can do it today.

Anyways, about my trip.  Being back makes me realize how thankful I am for all the modern conveniences.  I love not having to pump the toilet to flush; the dishwasher, clothes washer and shower are all a huge treat having been away from them for a month. I'm not really the camping type.  I loved camping with Brownies & Guides for a 2 1/2 day weekend but I really missed all the water appliances while I was boating.  
On the other hand, I really miss the gentle rocking of the boat when I sleep, the fantastic view from the bunk porthole, the warmth of the air and sea, swimming with the tropical fish, all the fresh tropical fruit and veggies which were all so sweet, the vendors that sold the stuff every day on the roadside and the amazing flavours of ice cream.  
I do not miss the dirt on the boat, the sharp corners on which I stubbed my toes and the fires on shore every day which led to some seriously smokey days at times.  Bathing in a horse trough is not my idea of a fun thing to do although hand washing clothes while looking at palm trees was a very Zen like experience which I would love to achieve at home staring at the trees.  I guess the lesson there is that I need to do my hand wash clothes outside on the porch rather than in the bathroom which has no windows.  And being away from all the demands on my time was good.  I'm slowly ramping up into work mode again.

Love and hugs,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment