Wednesday, August 17, 2011

From the Captain...

I'm sitting in the heat in a lovely atol in the southern Cook Is.  Got here Saturday afternoon, managing to ground on the way in, the channel is 1.5 m deep, I draw that.  I got a bit off centre and got stopped, backed off OK and kept on going.  The "anchorage" is a tight little harbour iwth the boats scrunched in.  I've got the anchor out, and two stern lines set to shore.  I shouldn't move.

It was "interesting" getting in here by myself - really need a pair of eyes in the bow for the channel and extra hands for setting anchors and stern lines in a confined space like this.  I'm here, no hurts to me or anyone else.  I've hung around the boat and the immediate harbour today - I haven't checked in with Customs etc. yet.  Tomorrow I may get some tourist time in.

Take care
Love Dad
-----
At 15/08/2011 5:37 AM (utc) our position was 18°51.91'S 159°48.05'W

No comments:

Post a Comment