Wednesday, November 10, 2010

In a previous lifetime

I think I was born into the wrong century. I mean don't get me wrong, I love the amenities and conveniences of modern life just as much as the next person... and being a techno-geek puts me in the front row of a special nerd class implying that I could not physically survive without my gadgets. But I'm an anomaly, I enjoy roughin' it... as much as I enjoy hot showers and coffee in the morning.

It has always appealed to me when something out of the ordinary happens in every day life. Those situations, that most people politely describe as 'interesting' are what make my day, and sometimes my week. It isn't danger I thrive on, so much as the chance to use my creativity to solve a problem rather than giving up... and calling someone else for help.

Sure often times it takes awhile... I've gotten wet and cold, and from time to time very very muddy in the process. But when you look back at the things you've done, and the moments you remember... how often do you say "Remember that day when everything went perfectly?" Hah! It's always the roadtrip where you got lost and found something cool you didn't even know you should look for. Or the flat tire you changed in a snowstorm after giving some new best friend a ride home... Or the time you got pulled over so the police could inform you 'its slippery out'... Uh I got that, thanks.

But really, I realize that I have a unique point of view, and generally unexpected and unplanned events make me smile as long as nobody is getting hurt. I've been late for work because I made the choice to spend that little bit extra time with loved ones, and then leave at 5am for the 2 hour drive only to literally blow a tire wide open on the side of the highway and have to limp in on my spare.

I just don't think there's any good reason to stress out about things you can't change, or don't have any control over.. I don't know what's going to happen... that's what keeps things from getting boring! So really, the best you can hope for is to deal with whatever happens as best you can when it comes. For the most part, stressing out about it doesn't have any impact on the situation... it doesn't get you through an avalanche slide faster, or get your car unstuck, or anything else for that matter.

So plan things out, take what you need... then throw in the extras that you *might* need 'just in case' the interesting crops up. It's not so much trouble when you're moderately prepared, and half of that is your attitude. Take a deep breath, evaluate your options and be creative... its amazing what you come up with, and there is nothing that can top the feeling of getting yourself in *and* out of trouble.

Especially since you get to save a little bit of that feeling, dust it off and try it on for size, every time you tell the tale about your interesting day. ;o)

No comments:

Post a Comment