Thursday, October 21, 2010

My feets... they hateses us...

 And this is why... Reminds me of a story when I was little, this guy bought new feet. I could go for that right now, they probably wouldn't have any in my size though...



*grin*Okay, it's a goofy grin... but that's what you get when I have to take my own picture. In all honesty I'm concentrating more on taking the picture, than smiling... Obviously. *rolls eyes* I'll stop now.



So I walked all the way across town again today, indulged in a milkshake for lunch, and took the ferry over to Alcatraz unsupervised. It was super wicked! They have done a fabulous job, it is part of the National Park, and there is a 'self guided' audio tour... Yep, I got distracted and fell off the self guided tour a couple times but luckily there was a rewind button.


They have done a fantastic job, they walk you through the cell block, using the voices of guards and some of the different inmates to describe what you're seeing... or relate something that happened or what life was like on 'The Rock'. You definitely get a feel for it, and wow, I would not want to get sent there.


"Break the rules and you go to prison, break the prison rules and you go to Alcatraz"

I think the thing that struck me the most, was that it wasn't the conditions that got to the inmates, so much as the fact that San Fransisco and freedom were a tantalizing mile and a quarter away. They could hear people going about their day to day, could see the city sparkling, so close and yet so far away... There was no reward for good behavior, only punishment for bad behavior. But it seems the biggest punishment of all was having freedom just beyond your grasp.

4 comments:

  1. Connie7:15 AM

    Happy Birthday Sunshine!!!!!

    Hope you have something fantastic planned. Can't wait to hear about it. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:16 AM

    Happy birthday Auntie Sam - N & A

    ReplyDelete
  3. HaPpY bIrThDaY SaMMy!! Were all thinking of you over here! Can't wait to hear about all the stories and adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all the birthday wishes! *grins*

    ReplyDelete