Monday, July 18, 2011

From the Captain's Consort

Wow! Only 2 more sleeps til I fly home from Moorea. I can't believe I've been here for a full month. Last night was another rough night. We were out in the lagoon after a beautiful swim just before sunset and the moon was still bright in spite of being past the full moon. I made a lovely supper of chicken salad in papaya and Dad decided it would be okay to stay out the night and it was calm and quiet until 10:33.

We'd gone to bed early due to the swim when the wind came up and really howled through the rigging. Dad had taken the tarp down so at first it didn't seem too bad but as the night progressed it got worse and worse. Then a torrential rainstorm drove water through the window beside my bed leaving a puddle on the windowsill. Talk about driving rain! I find all the cracks in the windows on the boat to be quite scary although they don't seem to bother your dad at all.

With dad and his CPAP snuggled up I managed to get some sleep but we woke up by 6:30 due to the wind. After breakfast I tried to convince your dad to row to shore to book a room for Wednesday night in Papeete or else go for a swim but he was too tired and stressed by the continued howling of the wind so at 9:30 we upped anchor and motored back into Cook's Bay. Glassy calm and hot in the bay.

Dad got the tarps back up to provide some shade and after a bite of lunch I had a nap (noon til 2:30). As I said, I was pretty wiped by the boat tossing around all night. Woke to find dad dressed and raring to go for a walk (he'd had a bath again and felt good). Got him to dig out the little electric outboard for the dinghy and took off around the bay to the point near the lagoon. Very nice and quick way to travel but hard to sit as I had to be leaning forward to get the proper weight distribution.

Headed back to the dinghy and reached it at 5:20. Dad got pretty twitchy as sunset is at 5:30 but there is about an hour of dusk. Motored back by 5:40 and got Gerry on the radio while dad unpacked the dinghy. I gather summer is not really on the coast yet in spite of it being mid-July. Anyways, I'd better go and make supper (although I made supper and did the dishes last night). Looking forward to home. Take care of yourselves.

Love and hugs,
Mom
-----
At 12/07/2011 10:04 PM (utc) our position was 17°30.21'S 149°49.34'W

No comments:

Post a Comment